“An objective uncertainty held fast in an appropriation process of the most passionate inwardness is the truth, the highest truth attainable for an existing individual . . . The truth is precisely the venture which chooses an objective uncertainty with the passion of the infinite. I contemplate the order of nature in the hope of finding God, and I see omnipotence and wisdom; but I also see much else that disturbs my mind and excites anxiety. The sum of all this is an objective uncertainty. But it is for this very reason that the inwardness becomes as intense as it is, for it embraces this objective uncertainty with the entire passion of the infinite . . . Without risk there is no faith. Faith is precisely the contradiction between the infinite passion of the individual’s inwardness and the objective uncertainty.” p. 182
“Existence is the child that is born of the infinite and the finite, the eternal and the temporal, and is therefore a constant striving.” p. 84
“An existing individual is himself in process of becoming . . . In existence the watchword is always forward.” p. 368
Kierkegaard, Concluding Unscientific Postscript
- Existentialism as a Basis for Religious Belief (theminnimalist.wordpress.com)
- Being “Ethical” & Ethical Knowledge (michaeldstark.wordpress.com)
- Slow Reading (1.9): Deleuze’s DR (pp. 8-10) (sketchingapresent.com)
- The First New Atheist? Kierkegaard (3quarksdaily.com)
- Knight of Infinite Resignation and Knight of Faith (barbaraz01.wordpress.com)
- Kierkegaard’s Conception of Anxiety and Objective Morality (thepopularfront.wordpress.com)
- Kierkegaard: “Christiandom is an effort of the human race to go back to walking on all fours …” (lifeondoverbeach.wordpress.com)
- The pain of Søren Kierkegaard (bloggingtheology.wordpress.com)
- Kierkegaard on Anxiety & Creativity (laurakkerr.wordpress.com)
- Introverts and Inwardness (maverickphilosopher.typepad.com)
"Lord God Almighty, please let us Christians wake up with empathy, compassion and ..."
"Thank you. Trying to learn a way through this all. CHRISTIANS ..."
"Thank you for this important critique of JHY's theology of the cross lived ..."
"There is no doubt abortion is tragic . I don't believe anyone ever ..."
"Wow!!! I love this guy! Peacemaking is so dear to my ..."