As usual, Rohr has me thinking. There may be more to say here, as well as things that could be said differently (e.g., the usefulness of a healthy fear of God — especially when it comes to justice… and I don’t like that way he talks about “the goal of all religion,” leaving out the distinctively Christian notion of the Kingdom of God for instance), but this list nonetheless strikes me as profound and impressively comprehensive:
1. Scripture as validated by experience, and experience as validated by Tradition are good scales for one’s spiritual world view (METHODOLOGY).
2. If God is Trinity and Jesus is the face of God, then it is a benevolent universe. God is not someone to be afraid of, but is the Ground of Being and on our side (FOUNDATION).
3. There is only one Reality. Any distinction between natural and supernatural, sacred and profane, is a bogus one (FRAME).
4. Everything belongs, and no one needs to be scapegoated or excluded. Evil or Untruth cannot be directly fought or separated from as much as exposed to the Light (ECUMENICAL).
5. The “separate self” is the major problem, not the shadow self which only takes deeper forms of disguise (TRANSFORMATION).
6. The path of descent is the path of transformation. Darkness, failure, relapse, death, and woundedness are our primary teachers, rather than ideas or doctrines (PROCESS).
7. Reality is paradoxical and complementary. Non dual thinking is the highest level of consciousness. Divine union, not private perfection, is the goal of all religion (GOAL).
Taken from Rohr’s website here.
- A convicting and thought-provoking quote from Fr. Richard Rohr (joshuarhone.com)
- Rolheiser and Rohr On Carrying Tensions (blueeyedennis-siempre.blogspot.com)
- The Power of Now – Thoughts from Richard Rohr (livingasapprentices.com)
- The Wounded Healer (prodigal.typepad.com)
- [Quote] Richard Rohr (davidhulonhood.typepad.com)
- The Sin of Exclusion – Richard Rohr (katieandmartin.wordpress.com)
- Things Hidden – the challenge of newness (yliapu.typepad.com)
"Lord God Almighty, please let us Christians wake up with empathy, compassion and ..."
"Thank you. Trying to learn a way through this all. CHRISTIANS ..."
"Thank you for this important critique of JHY's theology of the cross lived ..."
"There is no doubt abortion is tragic . I don't believe anyone ever ..."
"Wow!!! I love this guy! Peacemaking is so dear to my ..."